The Dream Star's Corner

Dare to Dream...and DO!
walk. run. fly.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

No NYC for Me

I didn't get into the NYC Marathon but that's okay.


Aside from the huge price tag for the registration fees and the travel arrangements, (my hotel reservation would cost me an estimated $1,850. YIKES!) I started to feel very overwhelmed with all that I have on my race plate already. I have so many other things going on that I didn't want to figure out how I was going to travel to NYC to complete this marathon and raise money just in case I didn't get in. Now I can sit back and relax...well not really... I can happily train for all of the races on my calendar.

There was also some concern that my best friend, who I encouraged to run this marathon again, would look to me to really go through the training and race with her...even though it was my idea in the first place (messed up, right? I know.). But I'm happy that I just waited to see what would happen over time...and eventually everything fell into place.

I decided that if she still wanted to do the marathon (because of course she wouldn't get in - what are the chances?) then I would train with her, traveling to New York for some long runs and whatnot and give her a huge donation towards her fundraising goal. So I spoke with her yesterday after reading this message...


Crazy, right?! YES LADIES AND GENTLEMEN - MY BEST FRIEND WAS SELECTED IN THE LOTTERY! You would've thought she won the actual mega millions lottery. She is so excited! And out of the goodness of her heart, she will STILL raise money to BEAT CANCER and I will be doing the same. While she's training for the NYC Marathon, I will be training for the Marine Corps Marathon and I will be raising money to donate to the American Cancer Society to BEAT CANCER!!!!

Honestly, I would much rather go to New York to do my duty as an awesome spectator. There is NOTHING like spectating at the NYC Marathon. I will proudly cheer on my best friend as she battles through 26.2 miles through her city's streets and make sure that she trains smart before getting to the start line. So that's the story folks.

Time to get to work! WOOHOO!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you didn't get into the NYC Marathon, KJ......one of the ones on my to-do list, as is the MCM which you ARE running in!

    Can't wait to read about your training...that's going to be your first marathon, right?

    Oh, and you're running the Iron Girl 1/2 tomorrow....best of luck in that one. Can't wait to read your race report!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I was one of those super crazy people waiting to click on the "submit" button when the countdown clock ticked down to zero on the MCM website. haha! It will be my first marathon. I think all of this triathlon training/cross training will help me to maintain some balance in my training this time around. Yes! Look forward to the race recap tomorrow! :) Enjoy your weekend too!

      Delete