The Dream Star's Corner

Dare to Dream...and DO!
walk. run. fly.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

10 Things About Me On My 30th Birthday

I turned 30 years old today.

I'm not the kind of person who's really into throwing big parties or celebrating in some costly way...

When I was younger, I thought of my birthday as a holiday. I thought everyone should stop what they were doing to celebrate me and do as I ask. haha! But now, I look at my birthday as a very personal day and a moment for me to give myself my undivided attention. Many people fear looking inwardly to see where they can improve on the way they treat the world, others, and how they are viewed. I am not. I was always taught to evaluate yourself and look for ways to be a better person so that others could see the good in you.

Each day leading up to my 30th birthday felt like it was moving in slow motion... not the minutia of the day, so to speak, but the interpretations, reactions, major emotional/life altering events, etc. For instance, my injury (though it was a small one) revealed something in me. It revealed that being an athlete is actually very important to me so it hurt when I was told that I couldn't run. But I learned how strong I was mentally and it reassured me of my discipline to do what was best for my body so I could have a future as an athlete in years to come. I also learned to listen to my body - a crucial lesson for anyone who is athletic, or aging in general.

Another huge event that's happened since the beginning of the year was the end of my relationship. I have a couple of posts on my blog about my now ex-boyfriend. We lived together and started planning a future together but then he changed his mind. I was forced to move on and that's okay. I've done it before... maybe not so gracefully in the past. This time, I believe I'm really executing the closure process well. I'm grateful for the experience and what we had. I matured immensely and I'm sure of who I am.  More than ever, I feel sure of myself.

Moving on, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!! So here's the list of things that I've come up with about myself:

1. I am a planner. I know that tomorrow is not promised and it's important to stay in your present moment but I love to plan the details of an activity. I love troubleshooting any potential problems that may pop up before the activity is complete.

2. I am a homebody. I have plenty of friends - many of which are sprawled all over Maryland and the country in general, but I love being at home. There's a difference between a hermit and a homebody. I love the company of others, I love holding conversations, etc but I also love my home. I like getting all cozy and watching a movie or reading a book or just listening to records (yes, I said records haha!)

3. I'm old school. Back to the records - you would think I was raised in the 60s or something. I enjoy just about any R&B or rock and roll song created in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I'm really into the Beatles, Muddy Waters (40s and 50s, I know - but still rock and roll!) Grateful Dead, Black Sabbath, Janice Joplin, etc.

4. I love learning... I listen to podcasts about the history of economics, language, philosophy. I have a degree in engineering and an MBA but I found my core or behavioral science classes (like sociology, women's studies, philosophy) to be MUCH more interesting. If I won the mega millions, I would probably go back to school as a permanent student, just learning as much as possible about history, religion, literature, etc. I'm a sponge for this stuff!

5. I love sports. Of course, you know that already... but honestly, it's something I didn't know about myself until 3 years ago. My father played football for years and still plays with an auxiliary league. My mom ran track in high school and played field hockey too (or lacrosse) but I never felt like I was good at anything that required me to breathe hard or sweat lol... but then I started running and training and swimming and biking...and I see that I love this stuff! On top of that, I love playing golf. Between all of the training, I don't get a chance to get out there much, but I do love the sport. :)

6. My favorite color is blue. Something about it is so calming and clean.

7. My favorite love song is "If This World Were Mine" by Luther Vandross and Cheryl Lynn...it's so beautifully written and I just love the vocals :)

8. I got stuck in Berlin during the Eyjafjallaj√∂kull eruption (the Icelandic volcano that no one can pronounce). It was interesting "living" in Berlin for an additional 7 days beyond my departure date knowing little to no German. No matter what anyone says, YOU NEED TO KNOW SOME GERMAN IF YOU GO TO BERLIN!

9. I meditate. It keeps me sane. I connect with myself and ground myself in my awareness. 

10. I hate bridges and roller coasters. If I'm driving across a bridge, I fix my eyes on the license plate in front of me and white-knuckle it all the way across. I will not get on a roller coaster - I don't care what you call me, it's not gonna happen. It's funny because I know how they are built given my engineering knowledge but I guess that's what scares me the most - the physics. 0_0

So there you have it. This is me...or a small part of me. What was your 30th birthday like? Do you like having birthday parties? Did you have one?

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, KJ........I barely remember my 30th, as I wasn't too happy at the time......was in grad school in St. Louis at the time and pretty lonely. Not exactly a high point.

    I'll be turning 50 in a month and it's going to be WAY better. My wife and I are dropping our son off with his grandparents for a few days and then she's taking me to NYC....just two kids in the big city. Gonna take in a Broadway show and just enjoy being together. My kind of party!

    Enjoy the milestone, kid......it only keeps getting better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This means so much to me. Thank you Bill! And enjoy your trip to NYC and more importantly, take the time to take in every moment of that experience.

      Delete
  2. Love this!!!

    Happy Birthday, my friend!

    Goodness I need to get my butt out there and hang out with you sometime. I think we'd have some FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Courtenay!!! :) And sounds like a plan haha!

      Delete
  3. Very nice list. Self awareness and self reflection is very important. My 30th birthday, was intentionally quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Self reflection is essential. It's so easy to get wrapped up in living out a routine instead of living out a purposeful life.

      Delete