The Dream Star's Corner

Dare to Dream...and DO!
walk. run. fly.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Frederick Half Marathon Race Recap

I set my alarm clock for 4:30 a.m. and headed to bed around 9 p.m.... on CINCO DE MAYO! That was so hard for me to do...

I already planned to carpool with two ladies from BGR! Baltimore so I had to be on time for our meet up at the Park & Ride. Before bed, I enjoyed some spinach and cheese linguine with shrimp and marinara sauce. Yum! By morning, I was up and ready to go! No nervous energy...just wanted to complete the Titanium Girl challenge. The twitter and breakfast ritual followed the tapping of the alarm clock, I fed the animals, got dressed and headed out the door...

...then I felt the drizzle. So I ran back inside, grabbed my water-proof jacket and ran back out. I met up with the other ladies at the Park & Ride as they were already waiting for me and we were off. There were plenty of other people speeding up Interstate 70 West toward Frederick in a mad dash to get there by 6 a.m. The race was scheduled to start at 7 but the organizers asked people to start piling into the small town around 6 to give us enough time to park and make it to the start line. Everything worked like clockwork, and we were parked and walking by 6:40 a.m. The other two ladies talked about their goals for the day. Two of us PR'd last week in the IronGirl Half Marathon. One of the ladies wanted to see if she could top her goal and pull out with a sub-2 hr finish time... Me? I just wanted to run a 2:20:00. I know my body... After running hard last week and training hard weeks before, I knew that I didn't have the freshness needed to finish with a new PR, especially on a course that I didn't know much about.

We were all lined up by 6:45 a.m. but I promised to go back to the 2:40:00 pace group to say hello to the amazing Geico Pacer who helped me get through my post-injury race in DC (Rock n' Roll USA/DC Half Marathon). Also, my Thursday night running buddy (who I also ran with in DC) was planning to run with the same pace leader and I wanted to wish them both good luck before the gun went off. After a quick 'hi and bye', I scrambled back to the 2:20:00 pace group, enjoyed the National Anthem, and then we were off! The course wasn't much to write home about. It kinda reminded me of the Iron Girl course - quiet suburban stretches of road. So to spare you any boring details about the course, I'll get right to the relevant parts.

Everything felt great so I moved along and ahead of the pace group. I was cruising until mile 6. I had my first run in with tummy issues. I didn't have to make any pit stops but the discomfort became almost unbearable. I literally just felt like stopping and giving up...but I was running in a RACE! I had to complete the CHALLENGE! After all, it was a CHALLENGE - and if it was easy, everyone would do it! These were the words I kept repeating to myself. So I fought. Running as much as possible... trying to figure it out. I stopped taking in Gatorade and only took in water to stay hydrated. I started questioning my hydration, wondering if I was struggling with dehydration. It was a cloudy day, but not hot... but not cool. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it was fairly humid... which would explain the unexpected mist in the air that morning. I fought and fought, running, then walking... then running... walking... finally running slowly, I fought until the 2:20:00 pace group came into view around mile 9.5. I told myself that if I wasn't dying, I would suck it up and do EVERYTHING in my power to stay with them until the finish. I just knew that if I let go of staying with them, I would end up walking the rest of the race.

So I fought... I grunted, cursed, whatever I needed to do to tell myself to get my a** to the finish line! Well, I made it... I finished in 2:20:08. It wasn't easy and I was so glad it was over when I crossed. I stumbled forward to grab my medal, and met up with one of my carpooling buddies who was sitting in the grass with her shoes off and eating a banana. My first comment to her was "my a** hurts and I'm glad it's over." I guess you can say that this Titanium Girl Challenge literally kicked my butt! haha

We waited for our third and picked up our additional medal and took a cool photo. It's over and I can say I'm not only an Iron Girl but I'm a Titanium Girl as well.




Apparently, there were others who struggled with cramping, nausea, and other tummy nastiness... no one can really identify what happened. At first, I thought it was the pasta, or maybe something extra I added to my oatmeal... I've never had that happen before. But I learned to fight through it. What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger. 

6 comments:

  1. Well done, KJ!!!!! We learn so much about ourselves every time we face a challenge, but particularly when we have to dig deep.....that's when we TRULY find out what we're made of.

    And you are made of TITANIUM!!!!!!

    Good on ya for guttin' it out (no pun intended...sorry!).....now on to the next challenge! I'm so happy for you and your pride comes through in that medal picture!

    P.S. Tell your blog I'm NOT a robot! LOL (I hate those verification thingies when you try to post)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you so so much! I will make sure to let my blog know that you are not a robot hee hee!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. way to fight thru the pain. Congrats on your Titanium.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to summon this post on the 19th when I'm ready to curse the world during my first 1/2! :) Lord knows there will be tummy troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to push through the pain!

    ReplyDelete