The Dream Star's Corner

Dare to Dream...and DO!
walk. run. fly.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Summer is My Off Season...Sort of.

Last year, I didn't have an off season. Actually, I didn't know what it meant to have an off season but now that I had a successful Spring filled with ups, downs, and major successes, I feel like I did what I set out to do. And I guess, I naturally felt like taking a break. Highlights from this Spring:

  • Marathon training
  • INJURY from marathon training
  • Recovery and the discovery of swimming and biking
  • Triumphant return to running
  • Half marathon PR (2:17:00 YEAH BABY!)
  • Half Fanatic Membership! (WOOOOO!)
  • Learned to swim
So there it is... a successful Spring and I turned 30! Everything kind of came to a close around my birthday so I thought I would take a break from any major workouts. I did some walking, a little running, and attended swim class but cut out any scheduled activity. 

I still have 5 to 6 weeks left before I have to start training for the triathlon in September and the full marathon at the end of October so I guess it's time to put down the cupcakes and hit the weight room. I spent some time setting up a rigorous maintenance and strength training schedule that includes 6 days a week full of running, spin, swimming, outdoor biking, and weight training. Much of which will be accomplished through two-a-day workouts to get my body used to waking up early for those grueling marathon training runs through the summer. 

The plan is to workout hard to build my tolerance and endurance without killing my body with repetitive movements - hence the variety. The weight training workout I chose to go with includes some work with free weights and on the exercise ball, and a meeeeean MMA abs workout that I found in Men's Men's Fitness. I know... I'm a woman, but I really like this routine. It gets away from the typical sit ups, crunches, bicycles, and other movements I've been doing for YEEEARS. 

My bike is scheduled to arrive in about a week! I decided to go with.....*drumroll*....


2011 Jamis Ventura Comp Femme

I've been a busy bee as I gear up for this summer. I'm currently struggling with what races I want to include in my training schedule. Sometimes, I like to register for races to help me train and get the real experience and in some cases, if I'm scheduled to run 13 miles, I figure "why not earn a medal for it?" So now it's time to figure it all out. I'm waiting to hear back from my triathlon club and about the training schedule that will be provided to us. Perhaps that can help me make some final race registration decisions. But for now, I need to figure out what helmet to buy and what kind of shorts are best for me to wear with this awesome bike! 

So do you have a running/riding/tri season and off season? Or do you register and participate in races when the mood hits you? 

2 comments:

  1. I know nothing about bikes but that one looks sweet! I'm sure you'll love it. My off season used to be the winter, but this past winter I trained for a marathon so there was no break. I've had a lot of races in the past year (a lot for me anyway!) so I'm taking a little break right now, but I'm sure I'll get bored soon and sign up for something :). I'm excited to read about your training for all your upcoming races!

    ReplyDelete