The Dream Star's Corner

Dare to Dream...and DO!
walk. run. fly.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Looking Forward to 2013...

...because I'm a planner and obsessed with planning out my race schedules almost a year in advance...

And this is how I came up with the great idea to do a triathlon on a Saturday and a half marathon the next day. :)


So, since 2009, I've created certain goals for myself. In 2009, I just wanted to become a runner...so I did. In 2010, I wanted to run in a race every month...so I did. In 2011, I wanted to run a sub-30 min 5k, and run in my first half marathon...so I did.

This year, I created a lot of goals and I'm still working on them.
  • Run my first full marathon
  • Complete a triathlon
  • Become a Half Fanatic - DONE!


The unspoken goal each year is to complete every race I sign up for... injury taught me a lot about how important it is to maintain overall wellness to make sure I meet that goal.

For 2013, I want to complete a full marathon, and my first ultramarathon shortly after...specifically, a 50k ultra. I think my medal holder could use one of those MASSIVE medals from the Little Rock Marathon...now to figure out how to hang a belt buckle. 



I also want to complete a Ragnar Relay. I have a team assembled for the DC race and here's hoping it all works out and we can conquer this challenge together. 

I thought that training for a triathlon while training for a marathon was a recipe for disaster but it's been quite the opposite. I think, for me, it's the ONLY way to train for a marathon. Compared to my last bout  with training, I feel great everyday! In the winter, I felt achy and sore, groaning every time I had to move, and wincing as I walked up stairs. The forced planned cross training has kept me feeling great and strong! So I will sign up for a couple of olympic distance triathlons for the Spring and Fall in 2013. 

Right now, I'm eyeing the Philadelphia Tri and maybe the Columbia Tri. The shorter race calendar should give me time to work on building my endurance skills on the trail and on the bike and free up some time in my personal life to enjoy some other things. Should make for a fun year! I'm sure this list will change 6 times by next January though. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment