The Dream Star's Corner

Dare to Dream...and DO!
walk. run. fly.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

"Nutrition will make or break you in your training..."

I've read this line in just about EVERY article written about triathlon training.  And now that I'm actually training and had to back away from the rosemary asiago cheese, smoked duck, googobs of syrah, grenache, and pecorino... *sigh*...and actually figure out what I needed to eat.

Goodbye beautiful friends...


When I did weight training, I was on a strict eating regimen. What you put in the body predicted what you got out of it in the gym and it showed. So I did right and ate a balanced nutritional diet of protein, carbs, fiber, and healthy fats. But when I started running, I noticed that I didn't have to be as strict so I definitely took advantage of that. Woooooo bring on the pizza, alll the cheese you can find, wings, and lots and lots of beer! :D

But now that I'm training, I wanted to get back into a more controlled nutritional routine. Fortunately I've had experience with it from the past so finding the discipline wasn't a challenge. Finding the right routine was...well sort of.

So here's what I'm eating now and how my day usually goes.

Example:

Monday

Wake up - 4:50 a.m.

Eat Breakfast #1 - Half of a whole wheat bagel flat with natural peanut butter

Workout #1 - Swimming at 5:30 a.m.


Eat Breakfast #2 - Strawberry, banana, spinach smoothie


(COFFEE - My one daily treat)


Snack #1 - Yogurt with blueberries and 4 whole almonds

Lunch - Turkey sandwich w/tomato and carrots or a small salad with balsamic vinegar

Snack #2 - One orange and 4 whole almonds

Workout #2 - Running at 5 p.m.

Dinner - Salmon steak with pan seared asparagus and brown rice

Dessert (I rarely want dessert)  - Frozen yogurt with one square of dark chocolate

So there you have it. My daily meal plan. I think I'm going to try to keep my dinners of the vegetarian variety. Just last night I tried portobello mushroom burgers for the first time and I'm in love! MUCH better than turkey burgers. I don't eat red meat or pork so I don't think the transition to vegetarian would be that hard for me.

I found some ideas on one of my favorite websites that made me fall in love with weight training years ago, Muscle and Fitness Hers.  I found the smoothie idea on an actual triathlon training website and the recipe is super simple.

I use the pre-washed and bagged spinach, fresh strawberries, and a half a banana, ice, and fat free milk. Throw in however much of each you want (there's a science to it, but I just make mine by 'feel') and blend! Surprisingly, the smoothie is actually filling!



Some sites suggest adding whey protein powder. Meh... maybe if I were training for a Half Ironman or doing more strength training, but I don't think I really need it.

I'm supposed to fit in some more calcium somewhere in here. I bought a bag of string cheese and I think I'm supposed to have it with lunch or something... I should add that in. This goes without saying but I also drink a lot of water during the day and with every meal (aside from breakfast). It's been unbelievably hot here in Baltimore so the decision to drink water has been a super easy one for me.

I went for a cycling workout this morning and finally met my mentor! She has the coolest bike EVER and taught me some things about my gears. I even learned that for my bike, the shifting is different on each side. This answers A LOT of my questions. lol Yeah, glad I didn't just rent a bike the day before a race to "just give it a shot." Yeah...no. Best to learn on your own bike. I have so many lessons learned from the newbie set-up experience, I should definitely write something about that.

Lesson #1: When you buy a bike, buy a bike rack at the same time

But since I had to get out on the road so early this morning, I did a fasting workout (i.e. didn't eat, just had water - DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS...unless you know what you're doing) and it's something I can get away with because I know my body. I don't suggest this for new athletes. But when I got home, I went ahead and combined the two breakfast meals into one.



And yes, I am aware that today is the 4th of July and no I won't be eating everything....until Saturday. lol That's when my family is having their big cookout celebration. But even then, I will keep to the veggies (my dad is a vegetarian so we can share that celery stalk of his). I will have my very first swim-bike-run workout on Sunday morning so to avoid any puke worthy moments, I will keep to this plan. No biggie... everything is quite delicious anyway :)

No comments:

Post a Comment