The Dream Star's Corner

Dare to Dream...and DO!
walk. run. fly.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Wetsuits are awesome!

I rented a wetsuit from WetsuitRental.com (yes, that's the name of the company) and it was probably the best decision I've made since buying compression socks (can't live without them). Even though Maryland experienced one of the hottest July's on record, I wasn't convinced that I would be 1) warm enough when my triathlon finally came around and 2) capable of sustaining the swim without freaking out from sinking due to my terrible body position in the water.

That's right! I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm no Mary Meagher in the water. I have form issues but I can swim on a beginner's to intermediate level but I needed some support. I decided to go with a sleeveless wetsuit.

The temps have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY in the past week. The humidity decided to pack up its things and either take a much needed vacation from abusing us each day or leave for the year. Either way, I'm pleased. We're also experiencing temps in the mid to upper 70s and lower 80s. The water is supposed to be in the lower 70s on Saturday but please keep in mind that we're starting the race day off around 8 a.m. I doubt the water will be that warm by then. So I received my wetsuit on Monday. In my opinion, that wasn't early enough but it's a lesson learned. Actually, WetsuitRental.com gives you the option to receive your wetsuit weeks before your event for an extra cost. I selected this option and tried to get my wetsuit by last Friday but unfortunately, the wetsuit size that I needed wasn't available.

I received a personalized email from one of their associates explaining this to me along with the comment that they didn't want to send me any wetsuit but the one that would fit me perfectly. Wetsuit fit is really really important so I was okay with that. Furthermore, they refunded me the extra money that I paid to receive the wetsuit early. They also expedited the shipping to make sure I still received my wetsuit in time for the event. Great customer service!! And I didn't ask for any of this! Really shows initiative.

So I wore the wetsuit to my open water swim workout yesterday. With the help of the Workout Director of my local triathlon club, I learned how to don and doff the wetsuit and also got in a few laps in the water. My form is still sucky but at least I know that I can float with ease if I have to. I don't mind the open water swim as much now knowing I won't sink to the bottom because I've somehow forgotten how to tread or more importantly because of onset exhaustion caused by treading vigorously (I'm a terrible treader).

Either way, my confidence level is much higher now and I at least know that I will finish the triathlon. For the last two weeks, I've been cursing all things training but decided to accept the invitation to compete on the relay team for the Half Full Triathlon hosted by Rev3 as the runner on the team. We're raising  money for cancer research (and I will insert the link here for you to donate as soon as I receive it). Please consider donating to this worthy cause!

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I love how much faster I am in the wetsuit! And never tread water! I forgot that at Nation's. I kept getting hit and tugged and tumbled and instead of continuing forward I stopped to tread and had to restart. Time and energy waster! The Rev3 race I did in Knoxville was an awesome experience! Well organized and friendly. Good luck at your tri. I hope you have an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much JP! I had an awesome time and yes, the wetsuit is the way to go!!

    ReplyDelete