The Dream Star's Corner

Dare to Dream...and DO!
walk. run. fly.

Monday, September 10, 2012

When a Rut Hits You at the Wrong Time

There are moments when training is going well and everything is on schedule...but then it happens. You hit a rut and you feel like you can't go on or you don't want to go on. Instead, you just want to sit...and do nothing OR do everything but train. It's okay if it happens towards the beginning or maybe even toward the very end. Nothing wrong with starting your taper period a little early. But when it hits during the peak weeks of training, it can really hurt you.

A few weeks ago, some friends and I went to the beach to celebrate a birthday! Woohoo! GOOD TIMES!


That weekend, I was supposed to run 14 miles as part of my Marine Corps Marathon training...but after a night of partyin' until 4:30 a.m. it simply didn't happen. After a day of rest and relaxation at the beach, I thought I'd give it another shot on Sunday... nope. Didn't happen.

So, I counted it as a loss. No big deal. I'm a pretty experienced runner who knows how to proceed after a weekend like this. Just move along with your training and don't try to make it up. As I returned to my regular ho-hum life, I felt less and less motivated to get back on track with my triathlon training. In an effort to feel like I was doing SOMETHING productive, I tried to run every so often and that helped to an extent.

Then another week passed and I hadn't been in the pool or on a bike... I tried racking my bike and taking it to the trail but it started to POUR down raining before I could make it to the trail. It took every ounce of effort in me to make it that far so needless to say, I carried my bike in the house and let it sit in my living room for 2 weeks...collecting dust. ( ._.)  I did manage to make it out to run a total of 10 miles that following week and fought through my 16 mile long run that Saturday.

But to make sure I rested adequately enough between long runs and training activities, I proceeded to do ZERO activity for 7 days. SEVEN...DAYS!!! But I got myself together last Friday, proceeded to carbo load like a champ and ran 18 miles this past Saturday.  Don't try this at home kids.

So here I am, 4 DAYS before the Atlantic City Sprint Triathlon and according to the athlete's guide, I will have 20 minutes to finish the open water swim. I managed to go to the pool yesterday to test my skills. I haven't been in the pool in about a month but I swam 450 yds in 17:30 minutes. That's pretty slow. Here's hoping that my wetsuit comes with some mini propellers or something. My stroke is somewhat efficient and I felt pretty relaxed in the water. I just hope I don't get kicked or I don't do that thing where I stop sighting and start swimming 50 yds away from the course. :(

In the meantime, all I can do is pack as much as possible, make sure I'm organized, and pray for the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment